Thursday, August 3, 2017

Tasting Review of the Genovese Nero, Princesa, and Mislabeled Magnolia Brebas

I love walking around in the garden in the summer and discovering ripe fruit! It's why we do this whole gardening thing right? The saying "fruits of our labor" comes to mind.


It's the beginning of August and today the Shiro plums are ready to eat. There's about a dozen fruit on this medium size tree. I expect a lot more from it next year now that I have a planted a Satsuma Pollinator for it.



I also have 3 figs that are ripe.

Genovese Nero, 
Princesa, 
and Mislabeled Magnolia Brebas.



Let's review them.

Marseilles, Princesa, Genovese Nero

Starting with the Mislabeled Magnolia Breba. (Marseilles?)

It's a pet peeve of mine to get a mislabeled fig. I always give the person the benefit of the doubt but there are scammers out there that just want to make a quick buck.  I bought this plant back in 2015 as a "magnolia". The problem is it's far from being anything that resembles a magnolia or brunswick.

My best guess is that this is a Marseilles fig which is also good. I've review this fig before so I won't go too in depth with this one.


I personally like the taste of Marseilles very sweet when dried on the tree. This little guy ripened out of the greenhouse. Lots of seed crunch back lacks and recognizable flavor beside simple syrup.






Only 22.5 grams kinda on the small side



Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 6
Size: 3  (22.5 grams)
Productivity:  .17
Total = 15.67


And then the Princesa Fig Breba

I got this fig after seeing some reports that it was one of the better tasting figs on a taste test at one of the meetups. Purchased from Harvey in May 2016, it's still a young tree.


The fruit ripened in the greenhouse. It certainly is a good looking yellow fig. Nice shape and beautiful yellow color.






45.3 grams




Overall I wasn't too impressed with this fig. It was lacking in flavor and sweetness and borderline bland. I think I may have to create a new process for greenhouse ripened figs. I've noticed that the ones that ripen outside have much more sweetness and flavor than the figs ripened in the greenhouse.

So for now, I think I will start giving my figs that are ripening a bit more time outside to finish off the ripening process to see if it makes a difference.


Taste: 5
Sweetness: 4
Size:  5 (45.3 grams)
Productivity:  .5
Total = 14.5


Genovese Nero Breba

There is so much chatter about the genovese nero. Lot's of arguments over this one that I won't get into. This one is from Rafed. There's also the Rob's Genovese Nero which puts out huge brebas. I have that one too but it has not fruited yet.


You can see how soft this one was getting, it was also rubbing against the stake which may have affected its growth.


Luckily I have another breba on here. I'm going to put this other guy outside to ripen to see if it makes a difference in taste.


Take note of the bell shape which is quite similar to the i258 and Black Madeira. The great thing about this fig over the black madeira is that it puts out brebas. Which is great for us norther growers. 


52.1 Grams


The pulp and amount of nectar in these figs just looks delectable.





The taste of the Genovese Nero Breba was good but not on the side of amazing. It definitely had the most acid of all the brebas I've had this year. It did have some berry tones and pulp that has great texture. However the sweetness level was not nearly where I would've liked it. Again I think I need to give them more direct sun outside of the greenhouse.

*I have to add that judging 1 year old trees is not the ideal assessment, I think the tree really comes into it's peak when grown in ground on the 3rd year and beyond.

Taste:  7
Sweetness: 6
Size:  6 (52.1 grams)
Productivity:  1
Total =  20








No comments:

Post a Comment