I have 275 Fig varieties in the collections and growing. At the moment I'm rooting or will root over 50 more varieties.
Answer: Because I have this strange drive to trial as many varieties as I can to help those folks in the PNW or with any similar climate to pick out the best tasting, productive varieties for our climate.
Along the way I've uncovered some great tasting brebas like the Calderwood unknown and Brandon St Unk. Which are great for this area.
But there's also a list of figs that we should avoid here. Even with a green house they are difficult to get a ripe fruit from.
After 3yrs of growing with no fruit, they fig is not meant to be grown here in the PNW. Some figs just do better in different climates.
My growing List for Fig Varieties that have not fruited for here in the PNW. It's a growing list so come back to this.
1. Mission - Hard to get a ripe fruit from this variety
2. Panache - So frustrating. The fruit will come so close to ripening but just will never get there
3. **Yellow Long Neck - Up for debate since, mine has not fruited in 4 yrs but I may need a another source to see
4. Karachi green - Never fruited not even a little fig
5. Deanna - Bad Splitting problem not rain resistent
6. Alma - 3yrs and still no fruit
7. **Kadota - I may need to get mine from another source to give a 2nd shot. But the fruit I got was terrible. Might be from the original source
8. Col De Dames in General - These are truly late varieties and without a heated greenhouse, don't bother wasting your money. They are very expensive and will not ripen in ground here. (with exception to CDD Grise and maybe Noir)
9. Atreano - has been finicky too. I've yet to see fruit on this tree.
10. Bronze Paradiso - I'm still waiting on this tree to bare fruit. I got it in 2016
11. Genoa - another fig that has not fruited for me here
12. Greek Papa
13. Green Jolly Tiger - I think I bought one of those Bunk reverted green jolly tigers. It fruited but was a capri fig
14. Lake Spur - maybe an adriatic fig. But this fig has never fruited
15. Pappa John
16. Unk Greek Cephalonia
More to come