Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tasting Violette de Bordeaux, Florea, & Olympian Figs

Tasting Violette de Bordeaux, Florea, & Olympian Figs



The Brebas are winding down and these are about the last ones I'm picking off of my fig trees.

Violette de Bordeaux

The Violet de Bordeaux 3rd yr in ground has finally hit it's maturity level. The figs are top notch this year in terms of taste.  The color, texture, flavor and did I mention color of my VDBs this year were spectacular! The breba productivity kinda stunk though because I only pulled about 5 figs from this tree.



VDB for any Seattle grower should go in ground, you will be rewarded nicely with some of the best figs to eat.





Taste: 8
Sweetness: 7
Size: 4 (40 grams)
Productivity: .33
Total = 19.33 


Florea

This is a great fig! My 2yr old tree grown in a 2 gallon pot has proven to be incredibly productive. It had 10 figs on basically a single branch! I think it maybe a good candidate to go in ground here. It's definitely a keeper.


There's a real strong punch of sweetness and strawberry from the Florea. It's small but carries a big flavor stick.




Florea: Main Crop (8/14/17) - 2yr old plant
Taste: 8
Sweetness: 8
Size: 3 (22.6 grams)
Productivity: 6.6
Total = 25.6


Olympian

The Olympian has gotten better and better over the last couple of years. It definitely has adapted very well to the climate that we have here in the PNW. The brebas are large and very attractive with it's bright yellow necks.




The taste on these were less figgy than the Gene's Vashon, it was sweet and melony. My kind of fig. Very little seed crunch compared to the Gene's Vashon. I'm glad to have this guy in ground it will only get more productive with time.




Taste: 7.5
Sweetness: 7
Size: 7 (68.7 grams)
Productivity: .6
Total = 22.10



1 comment:

  1. That Florea looks very interesting, is it for sale in Washington state somewhere? I have yet to find a seller of these fig trees.

    ReplyDelete