Monday, April 1, 2019

How graft Japanese White Pine for better Bonsai Stock

The Japanese White Pine has got to be one of the prettiest pine trees. It's a 5 needle pine that has a natural tendency to grow plumes of vertically pointed needles. It does this naturally and takes quite of training with other pines to achieve this type of growth.

I find these trees beautiful. However the problem with JWPs is that they do not grow easily from seed and do not air layer very well. 

So most stock is from grafted material. However most grafts tend to be high on the trunk if it's nursery stock. Which can cause an unsightly nebari. 

Below I've started my own grafts for a Japanese White Pine on some young



1st, I bare rooted the root stock to make them easier to handle.

 

2. I then removed the lower branches.

3. I striped the JWP to the latest year's growth at the tip.


4. I rolled a doobie. Just kidding. The scion JWP has been wrapped in parafilm prior to grafting.

5. I made a cut on the root stock as low as possible to the roots. 



6. I wedged in the scion JWP to the cut on the root stock.

7. Parafilm was used to wrap and adjoin the two pieces. 

I managed to do 2 grafts.

Lastly, I put the plants back into their pots. My only concern is that I grafted a pine to a fir. I am not 100% sure if they are compatible. But we shall see.






No comments:

Post a Comment