Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Nursery Stock to Bonsai: Flowering Red Scarlet Quince

Being brand new to Bonsai. It's hard for me to fathom spending thousands of dollars on a bonsai plant and possibly killing it or make a mistake in the styling process. So the idea of practicing on nursery stock is much more appealing and better way to practice on my Bonsai skills. If I mess up it doesn't hurt the pocket book as bad.

I was at nursery in Kent in February and found these beautiful Flowering quince, labelled Red Texas Scarlet Flowering Quince. They just look like dead bushes at the moment. But let's see what it can be transformed to.




After about half hr of digging through the pots I found this particular one with a sexy curvy trunk. Can you see it?


After following some guidelines on pruning deciduous Bonsai. I was left with this form.

First find the front the front of the tree.

Pruning a Bonsai tree illustration

Here's what it looks like after following these procedures.

I left a long sacrificial branch at the base of the trunk to help thicken up Nebari. It will be removed as the final part of the design.

Here it is in it's pot and outdoors to soak up some sun.

A few weeks later 3rd week in March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment