Monday, June 25, 2018

Fabric Pots suck for figs

After a few years using fabric pots. I've come to the conclusion that they SUCK for figs.



Old posts

I was doing some maintenance in the yard when I began to notice that there was a trend to all of my figs in air pots. They all looked terrible! These were DIY pots that I created which were equivalent to about 3 gallons. They definitely worked the same as regular fabric pots but man after a couple years the results were very telling.


Check out the difference of the figs in self watering pots vs fabric pots. It's drastic. The figs have only been in these pots about 2 yrs. The ones in Fabric pots look dry and have very little new growth.

Well that was enough for me to load them up into the wheel barrel and re pot them into regular 5 gallons.


When I unpotted them, which was a pain to do, the roots would grow tangled into the fabric, I noticed that they were all very dry. The fabric pots caused the roots to dry out too quickly.


After the re pot. I've noticed all of the old leaves have fallen off and new ones all have grown in their place. The new pots are making the figs much happier. I'm even seeing figs on them now.




1 week later this is how they look like. The leaves look full and healthy!


In all fairness. I think fabric pots serve a purpose and do a great job at keeping plant roots from become root bound. The reality is they probably do too great of a job of helping plants great a robust root system. Which means they outgrow their bags faster than normal pots. Which also means if you don't up pot them more regularly, you'll end up with a very sad looking plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment