Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Time to thin the apples trees

My Akane Apple tree is absolutely loaded this year. As much as I would love to keep all of them, I cannot. It's better to thin out the small or damaged apples to just a few per branch to grow higher quality apple.




There's a farm in Japan (http://www.sembikiya.co.jp/en/) that grows the equivalent of Kobe beef but with fruits. They use the best quality soils, fertilizers, conditions, and watering schedule for their fruit trees and plants. In most cases they will trim off all of the fruit except for one to let all of the energy go into one fruit.

This is also why they charge and arm and a leg for their fruit because the flavor is unbeatable. A musk melon can cost you $270 dollars and a single apple can cost you $21. Pretty extreme don't ya think?

Well I'm not going to trim off all of my apples but just enough to create a balance of quality fruit and have enough to eat and share.


Nolan of course is always by my side ready to assist.


The only problem is that he is not as judicious in the picking and everything within his reach is getting plucked.

After a few minutes of picking apples, the bottom branches are quite bare but at least I get to keep the apples higher than 3ft. =)

Update: 7/5/18
Sadly, I did not thin enough from this tree. Two branches broke off of the tree from all of the weight of the apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment