Friday, June 29, 2018

Why do Figs split?

I went into the greenhouse and saw this on my Oxford fig. One of them literally split inside out. Which is ironic since a fig is just an inverted flower. So really it's growing like a normal flower?

Anyways...



I'm sure as a fig person who lives in a rainy area you probably encounter this more often than not. It's caused by too much moisture or humidity in the plant. This occurs usually at night time when there is less evaporation.

The fig is actually just an extension of the stem and plant and is the area most prone to be affected by high moisture.

I know exactly why it split. It was hot a few weeks ago and I cranked up the watering in the greenhouse. It has been slightly more mild and cool lately and I haven't adjusted it back. Hence the extra moisture and splitting problem.

Here's a more "sciency" version of what is happening when your Figs split.

http://www.rarefruitclub.org.au/Level2/FruitSplits.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment