Friday, August 24, 2018

Tasting the LSU Jack Lily Fig 2018

I got my Jack Lilly from Ryan in Lousiana.
1 Crop

Picked 8/22/19



It did not fruit last year but man has it exploded with productivity this year. There was anywhere from 3-6 figs per branch.


The beautiful thing about this fig is that it has a month long ripening period. So I'm eating at least 1 jack lily everyday for an entire month. It get's better each time I eat it.



 




Almost 40grams

I originally got this fig because of reports of being super juicy. After tasting these for the first time. I did not get the impression that it was juicy at all. I would compare the flavor to a Lattarula, just much more concentrated and syrupy sweet. It's a good fig by all accounts. Just wouldn't make my top 10 though. The productivity of this fig though is highly desirable.

Jack Lily (8/22/18) 3yr old plant
Taste: 7
Sweetness: 6.5
Size: 4  (39 grams)
Productivity: 4.5
Total = 22

The longer I let these ripen the better it tastes. The sweetness and juiciness improves the more ripe it gets
Jack Lily (9/05/18) 3yr old plant
Taste: 7.5
Sweetness: 7
Size: 4  (39 grams)
Productivity: 4.5
Total = 23




1 comment:

  1. fron north carolina lived in seattle 1 year too cold for figs live in fredericksburg va.now too cold for figs. one killed back last year in ground. two i put in a shed they died. your doing a good job

    ReplyDelete