Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tasting the Brunswick Main Crop 2018

Brunswick aka Oxford Fig
Picked 9/19/18
2 Crops

Brebas 2018

A quick and modest review of the Brunswick aka Oxford fig from Bill.

Today is not a good day to be an average fig in my garden. I had so many ripe ripe varieties. And it's easy to over look a fig that has bad splitting problems and mediocre in taste.

From Top row:  Mis labelled Black Madeira, Vincenzo main crop, Sante Fe Unknown fig,
Middle row: Socorro black and Brunswick
Bottom: BB Golden Riverside, Natalina, and LSU Hollier

I'm in the stage of funneling my collection down a bit and it's a hard decision to get rid of any fig that produces here. The Brunswick though has given me a lot of heart break. Every time I get figs they split and spoil. I hate losing the time invested int a fig that just doesn't do well.




I had to cut off the split portion to get edible fruit.

The great thing is it does produce brebas and main crops reliable. The bad is that they both have splitting problems.



The brunswick in flavor is just a notch below average. The sweetness is a bit watery. I really want to like this fig but it's failed me too many times. I cannot recommend the brunswick fig here in Seattle.



Brunswick  aka Oxford Fig (9/19/18)
Main Crop
Taste: 5.5
Sweetness: 5.5
Size: 6 (50 grams)
Productivity: 3
Total = 21

No comments:

Post a Comment