Monday, July 23, 2018

Taste Review of the Blava Fig Breba - 7/20/18

My Blava fig was originally purchased from Dan Foster in June 2017. He is a well respected fig collector with many great varieties.

 I had no idea that Blavas had brebas, so I was excited to see fruit on this young tree. Picked 7/20/18



Unfortunately, there was a only 1 fig on this entire tree. Judging by the droopiness of the fig on the branch I picked it. You never know when the bird will get to them or hungry relatives who like to tour your yard.

The color of the fig was a deep black cherry. It was quite pretty.





For a breba, it was quite small. only 10.7grams.

And when I cut it open it looked very dry on the inside. So my initial reaction was that it was going to be a bad tasting fig.

I was surprised however to find that it had such a strong distinct and intense dark cherry flavor. I've never tasted a fig that tasted so much like cherries. It was somewhat acidic in the best way. I enjoyed every small bite of it. Now had it been juicier this little fig would have scored a bit higher but I have high hopes for it next yr.




Blava Fig (7/20/18) 2yr old plant
Breba
Taste: 7
Sweetness: 6
Size: 2 (10.7 grams)
Productivity: .5
Total =  15

No comments:

Post a Comment