Monday, July 23, 2018

I donated some figs to the New Start Community Garden

I was extremely happy to meet Taryn,



who helps to run the NewStart Community Garden in Burien. AKA the Shark Garden.


Together with John they've converted a highschool baseball diamond into a community garden.

I love the fact that she has dedicated a spot to create a fig forest. I personally would love to see more projects like this around the PNW. I have way more trees than I can personally take care of and may donate more trees as I start to whittle down my collection.


I gave them a Ventura Strawberry,  Gillette, Chicago Hardy, Pelle De Beu, Atreano, and a couple of unknowns that I had lost the tag for.


As she gave me a tour around the gardens we cam across this incredible black berry bush that had black berries that tested like plums. It was very tasty. Even Nolan loved it.


They were plump and juicy. Taryn was nice enough to give me start from the plant. I can't wait to get it in the ground.


She also gifted me with a rare Black Goji berry plant. I'm super excited to grow this variety. It's suppose to high in antioxidants and somewhat rare.

Quoted from Logees:

Black Wolfberry, originates in the Himalayan Mountains in Central Asia where it is revered for its health benefits. The fruit may be eaten fresh, dried or made into a tea, and just a few dried fruits added to water will turn it vivid purple. Black Goji fruit contains vitamins A, C and E, and includes some essential fatty acids which are unusual in fruits. They also have large amounts of proanthocyanidins, a powerful antioxidant that removes free radicals from cells similar to cranberries or grape seeds. The round fruit starts green and matures to purple and black when fully ripe. Black goji is a shrub that reaches 4-6’ tall. The leaves are light gray to greenish and fleshy; the branches have thorns. It is self-fertile and fruits ripen in summer to early fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment