Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Tasting the Fiorone Di Ruvo Breba Fig 7/24/18

This monster fig is known as the Fiorone Di Ruvo. It's a grafted fig on a Gillette Rootstock. It's a going on yr 2.5. So far I've been impressed with this variety.

2017 Main Crop

Picked on 7/24/18


It's reliably put out gigantic brebas and a main crop. Check out last years main crop here. 2017


I've been very patient with this breba. I even covered it with a net to keep the birds out. Even Nolan has practiced some restraint from picking it, even though he's eye level to it every time he walks by.

This fig is so big that every time I have guest over, they go gaga over it.


My only concern with it, is that since it's a grafted fig the union is just not strong enough to support the weight of more than a couple of figs. So after the figs ripen this year I'll bury it in a larger pot above the grafted joint.



Nice tight eye. Keeps the bugs out and fig from splitting.


 


Almost 155grams!! That's definitely a main stay in the 100gram club.

Cutting into it, it looks a bit dry and not that appetizing. Pretty much what you would expect from such a large fig.

However when I bit into it, the fig was tastier than I had imagine it to be. Very melon like and lightly sweet. Not one of Nolan's favs. He did not eat the entire piece I gave him. I thought it was ok and not a great tasting fig but still yummy enough for me and the wifey. She prefers the melony figs vs anything too sweet.





Fiorone Di Ruvo Fig (7/20/18) 2.5yr old plant
Breba
Taste: 6
Sweetness: 4.5
Size: 16 (155 grams)
Productivity: 1
Total =  27.5

1 comment: