Friday, July 27, 2018

Ashland Unknown Fig ID

I bought some cuttings back in 2015 of this fig called Ashland Unknown off of Ebay.  I'm not sure why, maybe I was bored or drunk at the time or it was really cheap.  It has been in a 1 gallon for longer than it should have. This year I threw it into a slightly bigger pot to give it some room to grow and it has produced a few figs.

I love being to able to ID unknown figs. And I thought I had this one figured out but after slicing into it.


 


It looks nothing like a kadota when sliced. And it's definitely not a Desert King. However the taste has the sweetness of a Peter's Honey. Interesting fig. Good enough to keep. 

Now I have to do some research to find out it's true name. My guess is that it's a Kadota. Usually the pulp is amber but I have had Peter's honey Breba's that have turned pink. Might be due to environmental factors.




(Might be a Kadota)
Breba
Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 8
Size: 4 (31 grams)
Productivity: 3
Total =  21.5

No comments:

Post a Comment