Friday, July 20, 2018

Taste review of the Desert King Fig Breba 7-19-18

Taste review of the Desert King Fig Breba 7-19-18

It's Breba season for figs and I literally feel like a kid in candy store. I've been extremely diligent about up potting all of my figs and putting them on a regular watering schedule and fertilization this year. So they are happy and giving back which makes me happy.


The Desert King is a staple here in Seattle. They are by far the most well rounded fig for this area. They love the weather here, have productive brebas, taste good, big, and incredibly reliable.


This one tipped the scales at 70grams. It is a greenhouse grown DK and has ripened about 3 weeks ahead of the in ground DKs.


Here it is in comparison to the Green Goliath. Dk is on the right. The branch is so heavily loaded it had to be leaned over and supported by the neighboring Panache.


The taste of Desert King is a like eating a mildy sweet strawberry Jam. The more ripe it gets the better it tastes. I like mine literally melting off of the branch.

It is such an enjoyable fig, I cannot get enough of them. That's why I have about 6 trees around the house.

Desert King: Breba (7/10/18) 3yr old plant (Greenhouse ripened)
Breba
Taste: 7
Sweetness: 6.5
Size: 8 (70 grams)
Productivity: 6
Total =  27.5

No comments:

Post a Comment