Monday, July 23, 2018

Taste Review of the Black Zadar Fig Breba - 7/22/18

This Black Zadar came from figmanpeter in July of 2016

The Black Zadar fig as the name suggests may have come from Zadar, Croatia and sold out of Belleclare Nursery.

Picked the breba on 7/22/18.


It has become my fastest growing fig in the greenhouse and has taken over nearly 40% of the 9x14 ft space. It is also loaded with fruit!! No complaints about that since this is an amazing fig.


It's amazing how quickly a fig can go from green to ripened in a greenhouse. It took 2 days to go from green to the size below.


I think it was because I had picked off the big brother, the plant then channeled all of it's energy into the 2nd largest fig. It grew so fast that the skin couldn't catch up and grew stretch marks.



Strangely last year this fig pushed out brebas a in the November time frame. 



I love it's size and shape but it certainly doesn't win any awards for it's beauty. 




So far the biggest breba of the year topping out at 102 grams. 





The taste of a perfectly ripened Black Zadar is mixture of melons, strawberry, and honey. There are also subtle hints of black licorice from the skin. Very subtle and maybe masked by the meatiness and sweetness of the fig. Overall I like it a lot. With an overall score of 31.5 this fig may have beaten the DK for most well rounded fig. 

Let me see, it's over 100grams, a tasty breba, complex flavors, productive and perfectly sweet? I think that is a combination for a nearly a  perfect fig. The only draw back is that it does have a large open eye which may make it prone to bugs.





Black Zadar Fig (7/22/18) 2yr old plant
Breba
Taste: 8
Sweetness: 7
Size: 11 (102 grams)
Productivity: 5
Total =  31.5






3 comments:

  1. I have a varity called Stella. The first year there were any figs I had one. It didn't ripen at all so I left it thru the winter and then in the spring when it warmed up it started to grow again.Sometime in the early Summer it was the size of a orange. I ate it in the middle of the night. I woke up thinking Raccons were in the garden an were after my fig. It was good, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this story. I too get worried about nasty raccoons eating my fruits

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a winner. Do you know where I can get this fog since Belleclare closed?

    ReplyDelete