Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tasting my first LSU Hollier Fig 2018

LSU Hollier Fig
Picked 9/19/18
1 Crop

So I've been saying the name of this fig all wrong. It's French and should be pronounced "Ool yay".



I purchased this fig from Rolling River Nursery in 2015. Can't believe I've waited this long to get some ripe figs from it.



I think that it's finally hits it's stride on the 3rd year. The tree has a decent crop of figs on it.
 

I did not expect much from it but I was nicely surprised by the taste of this fig.


Coming out of LSU figs a bred with characteristic of a tight eye to be resistant to the humidity there. Well it also works for Seattle as well ripening in September.  31.7 grams

The flavor is more like a honey fig with a punch of richness that makes it standout and differentiate itself from the similar Jack Lily. It ripens later than Jack Lily however. And is a bit smaller.


I like this fig. The sweetness is right on point with where I like my figs to be. The flavor is honey like with a bit of agave. It's a good fig to have and eat.

From a collectors stand point I think it resembles too many other green figs with amber pulp.

Off the top of my head I think it resembles:
Jack lily
Santa Fe
Qudsaya
LSU Champagne

The flavor gives it a home in my large collection but if you have something similar there is no need to add this one. However if you do not already have a Green type honey fig. I would get this for sure.



LSU Hollier (9/19/18)
Main
Taste: 8.5
Sweetness: 8
Size: 4 (31.7 grams)
Productivity: 4
Total = 24.5

2 comments:

  1. You really need to let this one hang on the tree much longer than the one you show in the photo to get a good representation of the best flavor this fig can provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that with the others that are still on the tree. It is a good fig though

      Delete