Friday, September 21, 2018

Tasting the BB Golden Riverside Fig 2018

BB Golden Riverside Fig
Picked 9/19/18
1 crop

Previous year's post.
2015 
2016
2017


Oh my beloved Golden Riverside. I've had her for about 3yrs and this year is the best I've seen from it. The tree shows a ton of productivity this year and the fruit is larger than ever. It's out growing its pot and I may just plant it in ground this year.


I've had a lot of requests for cuttings from this tree. It's just one tree so sorry folks there isn't much to go around.

The Golden Riverside is one crop fig. That ripens in September here.


On a day with 8 other main crop varieties and a couple not shown on camera. The Golden Riverside has stood out as still the Queen of main crop figs for me.





Mislabelled Black Madeira, Socorro Black, Golden Riverside, Vincenzo Main, Natalina Main

I really do enjoy this fig. There's so many pluses about it. It's produces huge fruit, productive, tasty and sweet. It's rare to get that kind of combo in fig. 

This year the flavors are honey like with great juiciness. I love that the juiciness are more like honey water than thick molasses. The sweetness is right where I like my figs to be. The syconium has a nice bite to it as well. Like biting into a firm pluot without the acidity. 

I took this fig to work and let some coworkers try it, one person said they are have a figasm as they were eating LOL.


Ben's Golden Riverside (9/19/18)
Main
Taste: 10
Sweetness: 8.5
Size: 16 (151 grams)
Productivity: 6
Total = 40.5

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Do you know if there is another name for Ben's Golden Riverside ?
    Thanks,
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben, thank you for your great reviews on the figs you own, is very good information. I was wondering if you have any plants or cutting available for the Golden Riverside you reviewed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On another website, I came across someone selling a "Golden Rainbow" fig and he tells this story in the description: "Please note that a few years back two fig master brothers from Seattle purchased a few trees from me as Golden Riverside fig trees. I apologize for my varietal name error. The truth is that no matter what the variety is called it is a wonderful variety and if you give it the love it deserves it will reward you with incredibly wonderful tasting fruit"

    ReplyDelete