Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tasting the Vincenzo Main Crop Fig 2018

Vincenzo Main Crop Fig 
Picked 9/19/18
2 Crops

2017 Breba
2018 Breba

DISREGARD This REVIEW. I picked this one too early. Click here to see a review on a really good MAIN CROP VINCENZO

As much as I love the Vincenzo Breba. The main crop is just does not impress me as much. Click the links above to compare the previous year's brebas. It's like two very different figs.


I was bit surprised to see a ripe main crop on this tree. In previous years I've only gotten brebas.

 

Figs are such interesting fruit. If I had to compare them to an animal it would be a feline and not a dog. They are so unpredictable and with so many varieties it's hard to predict how the will act and grow. One year I get nothing and the next it's loaded. It's like they have a mind of their own and do not care what you want.


As much as I love the brebas on this fig the main crop is a bit disappointing in comparison. It's 1/5th of the size at only 16grams and lacks the flavor and texture of the breba. This is interesting because most folks have this misconception that main crops "always" taste better than brebas.

Well in this case it's not true! 

The main crop was below average for me. Average is about a 7 in book. It's too subtle in flavor and sweetness to write home about. Add to it that it's just not very productive makes the Main crop Vincenzo fig an after thought and not the main course.



Only 16.3 grams for the main crop and 50 grams for the breba.


Vincenzo (9/19/18)
Main crop
Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 6
Size: 2 (16.3 grams)
Productivity: 1
Total = 16

No comments:

Post a Comment