Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tasting the Santa Fe Unknown Fig 2018

Santa Fe Unknown Fig
Picked 9/19/18
1 Crop

I purchased cuttings of this fig back in 2016 from Armando. It looked yummy enough from the photos so I bought some. Then again I bought every thing in sight back then. Hence my fig addiction.

A few years later and a little bit wiser. I tend to get Leary about unknown figs from California. One, it may need caprification and two it may need that Cali heat to ripen.

Well I guess I'm lucky enough to get ripe fruit from this variety this year.


It's on the small side.


With a nice tight eye.



This little green fig is was a bit of a surprise for me. I was not tracking it's progress this year at all so to get ripe figs was fun to see.

 At 16 grams this is on the small side. There was a very strange tobacco like essence with it when I bit into fig. Quite strange really. I have never experienced this before. Besides that this fig is just ok.

It has a berry type flavor and below average sweetness. For me, average is about a 7.

Should you add this to your collection? only if you like to pair it with a Cigar.

16grams

Santa Fe Unknown  (9/19/18)
Main
Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 6.5
Size: 2 (16 grams)
Productivity: .5
Total = 15.5

No comments:

Post a Comment