Monday, September 17, 2018

Tasting the Palermo Sicily Fig 2018

The Sicily Fig 
Picked 9/16/18
1 crop

Origins of this Fig.
2017 Post

So interestingly enough. This fig was ranked 5th place out of 26 figs during our 2018 Fig Tasting event.



Last year this fig was only 18 grams. This year it's weighing in at 62 grams! What a huge difference. Part of it might be because I've been more diligent about fertilizing.


This fig to me has a very classic fig look about it. Kind of what you imagine when you think of fig. It's also similar to many pieces of still life art of figs.


I still get excited every time I see a ripe fig. I totally didn't realize that there were ripe figs on this tree until I started doing another round of up potting.


These are main crops.




62.3 Grams much bigger than last year!

I love the figs with fluffy syconiums. They just tend to melt in your mouth. This one definitely fell into that category.




This was a good fig to eat. It was meaty and hit all the marks for a good fig. Decent sweetness and flavor. Falls into the berry category. Not quite as good as a Takoma Violet but also not far behind either. A good fig to have if you have a moderate collection.

Sicily
Main
Taste: 7
Sweetness: 7
Size: 7 (62.3 grams)
Productivity: 2
Total = 23


No comments:

Post a Comment