Friday, September 14, 2018

Tasting Takoma Violet 2018

Tasting the Takoma Violet Fig
1 crops

2016 post
2017 post


Picked 9/13/18 (greenhouse ripened). I have to say that the Takoma Violet is going to remain in my top 10 list for a while. It packs such an incredible taste punch and sweetness. Which makes it a real winner!


The interesting thing this year is how the color of the fig is almost void of the usual dark color being grown in the greenhouse. I believe UV light may have something to do with the figs color.

 


36 Grams on the dot

I love the color of the pulp. It's such an intense red.

One bite into the Takoma Violet and every fig that I've tasted in the last few weeks has been forgotten. The Takoma Violet is rich, sweet and packs a great berry punch. The syconium adds to the overall experience of eating this fig. It just melts in your mouth and coats your tongue with a syrupy jammy coating. 

I LOVE this fig! A 9 for taste. My highest this yr. 



From left to right: Brandon, Takoma Violet, Zingarella, Jack Lily and Italian plums


Main
Taste: 9
Sweetness: 8.5
Size: 4 (36 grams)
Productivity: 4
Total  25.5


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben,

    I have been enamored with the Takoma Violet since I first discovered your earliest posts on tasting it. I have been actively seeking out a Takoma Violet to plant at my home in Portland, and the only places I've found to have it are either unable to ship to OR, out of stock, or no longer producing...

    Do you have recommendations for where I can find this fig to plant? I would be utterly grateful if you can help!

    Thank you,
    Carlin

    ReplyDelete