Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tasting a mislabeled Black Madeira Fig 2018 (Sao Luis Maybe?)

mislabeled Black Madeira Fig
Picked 9/18/18
1 Crop

This might be a Sao Luis. (https://www.facebook.com/timo.fig.9/posts/336741020420862)



Well this is not the first time I've grown a fig that I thought was a black madeira and it turns out that it is not.

These are my sources for BMs.

black madeira Churl82
Black Madeira David Eden
Black Madeira figrific
Black Madeira JFE
black madeira Rfactor
Black Madeira KK
Black Madeira UCD
Black Madeira Daniel Mitre - fake

The sources in green are verified so that leaves just churl82 as the possible source. I myself do not sell figs that have not been verified. I do not want a reputation of being a scammer.

Well as you can see below I'm a bit perplexed to find amber pulp on this "Black Madeira". There's a slim chance that I may have misabeled this fig. Unfortunately I did not write my source on the label. I wish I did. Regardless of what variety it is, the tree however is absolutely loaded and looks beautiful with it's evenly spaced figs on every branch.


Now I have a new quest to figure out what this fig is.



Upon first look of the fig, it exhibits some characteristics of a a Black Madeira the leaf though is definitely not that of a black madeira.





37.9 grams

Well to my surprise when I cut this baby in half it was clear that it is not a black madeira. I'm a bit disappointed as well as excited to see if this was going to taste any good.

Well it was.

Maybe I was tainted by my fake wuhan black madeira last year. And I was left with some very low expectations but this is a legit good fig.

It's sort of a honey berry mix with very good sweetness and a syconium that give its nice firm texture.
I did enjoy this fig and will keep it. Who needs 8 black madeira trees anyways...





Mis labeled Black Madeira (9/19/18)
Main
Taste: 8.5
Sweetness: 8.5
Size: 4 (37.9 grams)
Productivity: 5
Total = 26

No comments:

Post a Comment