Monday, October 1, 2018

Kure Beach Unknown Fig

I was truly looking forward to a ripe fig on this Kure Beach unknown fig. Found in North Carolina which has a similar climate zone minus the humidity of course. So I'm not surprise that it's ripening here in Seattle.

"The mother tree is located at the beach in North Carolina.  The Greek family, had this fig growing at their family home in Charlotte and brought a cutting with them 80 years ago and planted it on their new property here at the beach.  It produces very large purple fruit with a mild fig flavor.  I have heard reports that this variety does well in cooler climates and even produces a fig with more of figgy flavor in those cooler locations. The fruit are 70grams"

I was being careless and accidentally knocked off this beauty from the 2 year old tree.


With very little days of heat and sun left on the calendar I may have to wait until next year to get ripe fruit from this tree again.

The color is intense. A beautiful maroon red and yellow color. The size is also quite large. I didn't actually weigh it but my guess is over 60 grams.


It needed at least another week of sun to get ripe. I did taste it and the end near the eye was already developing it's sugars and has great potential.

There's 2 more figs on this tree but it may not ripen in time... til next year my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment