Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Tasting the Col De Dame Blanc 2018 - Updated Review

Tasting the Col De Dame Blanc 2018
Picked 10/08/18
1 Crop

The days are getting much shorter and colder now, so I was surprised to find this Col De Dame Blanc soft and ripening in the greenhouse. My greenhouse is unheated and does little more than just act as rain protection this time of year.

This fig is certainly attractive. I've always admired the bright red pulp.

I had to work fast under the dim evening light. This little guy was quietly ripening in the back corner of my greenhouse. It probably could have used another couple of days of heat but it's just not in the forecast here. So I picked it.



34.1 Grams

By the time I got these to the cutting table it was extremely dim. So I apologize about the less the pleasing photos and white balance. Regardless, you can still see how beautiful that red color is. 

I know this fig is awesome by most accounts but this particular fig just did not have the ideal temperature and sun for ripening a good fig. The flavor is jammy with hints of acidity. It could have been sweeter for sure. The only thing I enjoyed was how syrupy it was. Other than that cold weather ripened figs just do not taste good to me. 

This fig needs to be shuffled in early February to get a ripe fig before October. Regardless I'm still pretty happy to get a Col De Dame to ripen somewhat...


Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 5.5
Size: 4 (34.1 grams)
Productivity: .3
Total = 16.3

Update:

Taste: 8.75
Sweetness: 8
Size: 4 (35 grams)
Productivity: .3
Total = 21.05






No comments:

Post a Comment