Monday, October 22, 2018

Tasting the i258 Fig 2018

Tasting the i258 Fig 2018
Picked 10/21/18
1 Crop



I've got my i258 on the southside of my house. It gets some pretty good sun and heat from that side but is missing some of the morning light. It however has produced some ripe figs.



I258 is an incredibly productive tree. I had to thin it so that I can force it to ripen only a few figs. Prior to that I was getting mainly split figs that were very near to ripening.

Nice tight eye.

 


35.7 grams. Small compared to the ones that were growing out of Rams garden in Kirkland.




The i258 is a great fig, you do not have to take my word on it. There are hundreds of collectors that would agree as well. 



It ranks up there with Black Madeira, Preto, Black tuscan, bass's favorite and a few others that fit into the black portugal berry types. 



If I had to put my finger on it.  The difference in flavor that makes this and others like it great is the added richness and raspberry jam flavor. 

This variety will ripen with an early wakeup or a greenhouse. Not a candidate for in ground here.


i258 (10/21/18) 
Main crop
Taste: 9
Sweetness: 8
Size: 4 (35.7 grams)
Productivity: 5
Total = 26


No comments:

Post a Comment