Friday, October 5, 2018

Tasting the GE Neri Fig 2018

Tasting the GE Neri Fig 2018
Picked 10/04/18
1 Crop



I believe I got my GE Neri from Wagner Farms, who is no longer in the fig sales business. However I believe you will see cuttings pop up on ebay every once in a while.




This particular fig split pretty badly while in the green house. There are others on the tree that still look pretty good and have a small chance of ripening. Hopefully they don't encounter the  same fate.




67.6 Grams

This fig reminds me of my Deanna that split pretty badly last yer as well. They could be the same if not really similar.


I had an expectation that this fig was going to somewhat bland. But I was wrong it actually was a very pleasant honey melon flavor. Quite similar to the flavors of the golden riverside without the same punch though. 


The GE Neri is actually a pretty good fig. It's moderately large and could get larger with time. It's also juicy and has a good sweetness about it. Ever since I got my Golden Riverside, I've been buying other fig varieties similar to the Golden Riverside to see if they are the same or not. This fig along with the long yellow are figs I'm growing as comparison to the the Golden Riverside. The flavor profile is definitely the same but it is not an exact match. 

It's like comparing Chicago Hardy to a Takoma Violet. They are both berry types but the Takoma Violet just has that "je ne sais quoi" about it that makes it stand out. Same goes for my Golden Riverside.



Main crop
Taste: 7.5
Sweetness: 7.5
Size: 7 (67.6 grams)
Productivity: 2
Total = 24


No comments:

Post a Comment